Inertial Apathy

Thursday, October 05, 2006

For Sale: One Life. Hardly used.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. [Take a shot]. Actually, I'm really not. I've been busy, as faithful readers will have inferred from my previous post. But, now I find myself at a crossroads, and I want YOU, faithful reader to get in on the life decision action! So, without further ado....here's the exposition:

Fed up with never having any free time, I've been sort of on edge recently. So, I decided to quit working at CarQuest. I figured that I could always try to get more grading assignments if I needed more money, and I would figure out what do to during the winter and summer breaks when they came up. So, I turned in my two weeks notice (which got me the weekend off "to think about it"...heh heh, suckers). But, when I got back to work on Monday, my boss had a counter-proposal (as if my quitting were negotiable...well, I guess it is now that I think about it. Crap, now I'm the sucker.) He asked if I could stay on and just work on Saturdays (10 hours starting at 8 f***in' AM). So, now, I have to decide on giving CarQuest the boot, or sacrificing my Saturday's for job stability. And, cause you all know I love lists, here are some Pro's and Con's for keeping my job. (Just skip this part if you really don't care...you can still vote at the end. I don't mind "pristine" opinions. ...I never said uninformed, I said PRISTINE!)

Pro:
-If I'm still employed at CarQuest, I can always just request more hours over the breaks and don't have to worry about find a new job every six months. (I asked this one of my boss blatantly, since it's a biggie)
-Although reduced, I'll still have benefits like health and dental. Not great benefits, but still...
-Even working only 10 hours a week, I'll be pulling in $40 less than my rent. Meaning, that even if something happens at school, and I don't get any grading for a whole month, I will still have SOMETHING with which to pay my bills.
-I made it quite clear to my boss that I would be doing homework during my downtime at work, and he said that would be fine. So, while working for CarQuest during the long, boring, and "nothing-to-do" hours of Saturday....I could be grading papers. Muahahahah, I'll be drawing two paychecks from one period of time. I hope that's not illegal or anything.
-I found out that if I were to quit, the other drivers were threatening to also quit (not because of some sort of group solidarity or anything, but just because they don't want to work all of the overtime my absence will create. ie Saturdays). And our store isn't allowed to hire any new drivers for various reasons. So, by staying on, I'm NOT screwing over the people with whom I work and like (for the most part).
-Probably other things which I can't think of right now, but are pertinent.

Cons:
-I don't want to wake up early on Saturdays.
-I don't want to work for 10 hours on Saturdays.
-Did I mention that I don't want to wake up early on Saturdays?
-I'm...uh...busy....and stuff. And...sleeping late on Saturdays will help with that.
-My job pays crap. My time might be better spent elsewhere.
-Insert a somewhat witty remark about "waking up on Saturdays" here.

So, there you have it folks. Lazy vs Logic. Who will win? Only YOU can decide. Let your voice be heard! Or not. I could always just flip a coin. Nah, I've already written the whole damned post. You vote! Heck, vote twice, I'm easy.

7 Comments:

  • Keep your job.

    By Blogger Veronica, at October 05, 2006 5:25 PM  

  • Your logic is sound, and shows forethought and good judgment. Your lazy...was...well...lazy, and worst yet, you repeated one of your options. On the other hand,I've seen your distress when you do the whole Carquest Saturday thing, but you COULD grade papers there. I think you may have successfully logic'd yourself out of support of your lazy argument.Also, your boss ASKED you to stay - so may it be on HIS head.

    By Blogger Dave, at October 05, 2006 7:04 PM  

  • It's 10 hours.
    Keep your job, sleep on Sundays.

    By Blogger Andy, at October 05, 2006 7:17 PM  

  • First, nice reference to Andy's blog!

    Second, you already know that I think you should keep your job, because like I said, stability, blah blah blah, you can always quit later if it doesn't work out blah blah blah. But I think you should put in an addendum that you can have a Saturday off every other month. Cause working every single Saturday blows hard.

    By Blogger Margie the Pickle Princess, at October 05, 2006 7:32 PM  

  • Putting in 10 hrs/week now to pretty much guarantee a job during the holidays seems like a good compromise to me. Even though only having a 1 day weekend really sucks. But being broke during the breaks sucks even harder.

    By Blogger Shemsi, at October 06, 2006 10:16 PM  

  • You've probably already made a choice by now, but I also say you should keep the job....so you don't sleep saturdays...who does anymore...there's still sunday. Though the benefits card doesn't really play as you automatically get those benefits as a student...it's in your fees. :)

    By Blogger KieraAnne, at October 20, 2006 3:19 PM  

  • You have been tagged. Cough up images. Your blog could use them!

    By Blogger Veronica, at October 24, 2006 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home